Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Why I've never opened a bakery.


I volunteered to make the Turkey, rolls, and mashed potatoes for my family's Thanksgiving.
On Sunday night I made my RS President's recipe for the best crescent rolls and they turned out great. At least I think they did... Regan kept wanting to snitch some so figure they have to be okay. I made about 5 dozen, I think. You would think that that would be enough but we have a lot of people coming... and who doesn't love rolls?

Last night I thought I would make another batch of a different kind of rolls to have for left-over turkey sandwiches. It took me like 3 hours when you add in the time to rise, bake, clean-up, etc. While they were [supposedly] rising/raising (I never really learned that grammar rule so I just make it up as I go along) I went to help Regan at school my making copies of practice exams. I should have clued in when I got home an hour later and the dough was the same size. But I did not. I baked them anyway, thinking the heat would puff those suckers up. When I pulled them out of the oven there were no rolls: only flat pieces of nastiness. I'M SO MAD. Regan came home and still ate like 4 of them... so I am now second guessing my first batch.

I love to bake (most of time) probably because I love yummy treats... but I'm so bad at getting my dough to raise/rise. There is a science to it that I have never really mastered. (This is also why I probably hated Chemistry in High School). So, I may not make anymore not. I'm waiving my white flag. The only way I will be persuaded to try again is if I have Regan there to supervise... he follows recipes much better than I do.

1 comment:

Diane CaƱate said...

Lindsay, this is why I have given up on breads and rolls. I can never make them rise. Here is a recipe that is supposed to be really close the Lion House rolls.

Lion House Roll Recipe
Ingredients:
2 cups warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk (instant or non-instant)
2 tablespoons dry yeast
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup butter, shortening, or margarine
1 egg
5 to 5 ½ cups all-purpose flour, or bread flour
Method:

In large bowl or electric mixer, combine water and milk powder; stir until milk dissolves. Add yeast, then sugar, salt, butter, egg, and 2 cups flour. Mix on low speed until ingredients are wet, then for 2 minutes at medium speed. Add 2 cups flour; mix on low speed until ingredients are wet, then for 2 minutes at medium speed. (Dough will be getting stiff and remaining flour may need to be mixed in by hand). Add about ½ cup flour and mix again, by hand or mixer. Dough should be soft, not overly sticky, and not stiff (It is not necessary to use the entire amount of flour).
Scrape dough off sides of bowl and pour about one tablespoon of vegetable oil all around sides of bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so it is covered with oil. (This helps prevent dough from drying out). Cover with plastic and allow to rise in warm place until double in size. Sprinkle cutting board or counter with flour and place dough on floured board. Roll out and cut rolls into desired shape and size. Place on greased (or parchment lined) baking pans. Let rise in warm place until rolls are double in size (about 1-1 ½ hours).