Pages

Thursday, November 08, 2007

WGA Strike

I haven't really been following the whole writers on strike issue this week but I started looking into it today at work. I am little concerned: isn't November supposed to be sweeps month? Come on kids! Play nice so we get get the show on the road (or at least back on the air).

I'm not normally a fan of Unions. In fact, I vividly remember my parents sitting me down one night in high school and getting into a lengthy discussion about them. But I think that this is a very interesting issue. In the next few years mainstream America will mostly view television shows via the internet. I know I'm already there. Regan and I decided against getting cable this year. We have an antenna that picks up HD channels so we do get NBC, all of the PBS channels, and a fuzzy version of ABC. For the most part, however, I watch my favorite shows on ABC.com or NBC.com.

Writers just want to get some residuals for the work that they create that is making the networks a profit. The writers/producers from The Office discuss the issue in a way that only they can:




I have to say, I am entertained by some of the different writer's picket "lines":

"How greedy can they get? They won't even share the net!"
"Actors! Writers! We'll never be divided!"
"Up in the morning in the CA sun, Gonna strike all day til the Strikin' is done"

I knew these guys had talent!!

No comments: